Wednesday, July 20, 2005

It's been a long fortnight

Let's see... a lot has happened in the last two weeks. I'll categorize things by category... that was oddly redundant.

Cats
Jack and Waffles get along very well. They chase each other around the house and play with each other. They made me jealous last night because both of them were sitting on/near Ben in bed. It was mean. However, Jack obviously favors me and will sit with me no matter where I am or what I'm doing. For example, we had a little problem just a few minutes ago where Jack wanted to lay on my shoulder and next to my neck while I was typing. This makes using the computer much more difficult. All in all, getting Jack was a good idea and he makes a great addition to the apartment. He is also the cuddly cat that compliments Waffles nicely. She also likes him and will sit near him. The next goal is to get them to start throwing toys around for each other.

Summer School
The kids pretty much do their work without prompting and are using their time to enrich their educations. However, there are two students who have no business being there and just try to be pains in the asses and not do their work. My feeling is pretty much whatever. They don't get a grade for this and it's for them to improve their chances of getting into TJ. I don't understand why these two kids are in the class seeing as how neither one of them has the slightest chance of getting into TJ or even getting into an honors level class. The kids are done on Friday and I'll get another group of twenty kids on Monday. The class is over in another two weeks. Here's where it gets interesting. Summer school lasts for an additional three days after my last class ends. The plan is my partner teacher (who does the math section) and I are not bothering to remind the administration that we don't have any students the last three days of summer school. I don't know what I'd do for those last days, but maybe I can get a lot of reading done. Wait, I've been getting a lot of reading done during class (there's a lot of down time for me when the students are working on exercises in their books and seeing that they're the best of the best -- well, most of them are -- I don't really have to monitor them so much.). The next two weeks are going to be really boring because I'll already have all the answers in the book and all my examples written. I know I will miss this easy job once September rolls around, but I wish this could be a little more engaging for me -- it almost is like sitting in a room and staring at the wall sometimes. All in all, it's sort of a boring way to make money.

Funeral
It was sad. I cried. Alot. It really hit me when Ben's uncle, Mike, talked about a fight he and his wife had on the day before she was killed. He told the story of how he kept moving his chair on the beach to be near her (because they both wanted to sit in different spots) and he made grumbly noises every time she moved. He thought he was being embarrassed by her -- she said he was the one embarrassing himself, and he told her that he wasn't his mother nor the boss of him but he was crazy about her anyway. Umm..how much does that sound like Ben? It finally hit me what had been bothering him all week -- his aunt's death was giving him a idea of what it would be like for him if I died.
Bart, his cousin, made very funny comment about how people treat young adults/children when their parents die. Bart said that he could really do no wrong right about now. He thinks he can get up on a table, take down his pants, and defecate and people would tell him he did a good thing, people grieve in different ways, and it was good that he was showing emotions. Ben made a good point in stating that his mom would probably tell him to not let Bart be alone at this time and go on the table and join him. I like Ben because he can still make me laugh when everyone else around me is crying. His mother also appreciates this talent and is talking to him a lot more -- it's nice that he can give her that support. However, he made a pretty not good comment on the phone with her the other day when he was talking about something I told him. He said, "Mom told me [meaning me]... you and Anna inhabit the same part of my brain." Yeah, no one wants to hear that. His mom wants to inhabit a more important part and really, I don't want me associated in his brain with his mom. That makes sex way creepy.

Harry Potter
I missed getting the Harry Potter book on Saturday morning since it was being delivered to the apartment and Ben and I were in MD at his aunt's funeral. We went out on Sunday afternoon to get a copy for Borders. I stayed up until 12:30 that night finishing it. I thought the kids in my summer school class would ruin it for me if I didn't finish it before I got there. It took me about seven hours to read it. Thank god for college for improving my reading speed. I made Ben read it when we got the second copy (I picked it up from the post office since the mail carriers were not allowed to leave it on door steps seeing that they thought that people might steal copies of Harry Potter left on doorsteps). I've gotten to discuss the book with Ben, which I am very happy about; it's like having my own personal book club in my apartment. The book made me cry a whole lot. I think that has to do with the fact that I read it the day after a funeral -- well, that's probably not totally to blame since I do tend to cry in most sappy children's entertainment -- for proof, ask Ben, Nick, and Drew what I did during the Pokemon movie. Now I'm sad because I'll have to wait like five years before the next, and final, book come out.


Ben
Ben is adorable and his eyes looked really pretty today when he come home. He was wearing a pretty blue polo, blue jeans, and was sitting on the blue chair. It was bluetastic. He is also hung like a horse (and not a female horse, either). ((He's sitting behind me and I'm afraid he'll hit me if I don't put that in.))
Our six year anniversary is next Wednesday (July 27th). Six years, that's a long time. I know that I'll get engaged before my sister, though. I told her I would be mad if she got engaged before me and she sort of flipped out in her email a bit. Me thinks Karel is more like my mom than I previously thought (my mom wasn't married until she was 32 when she got married after she and my father had been dating for many years -- she also tells a story of seeing a white dove (symbolizing freedom) flying away when she agreed to marry my dad). I was really weirded out when my sister started dating Jason (who lives in Austin -- which is really far away from Troy, NY), but I know I feel better about my knowledge of my sister.

That's about it. I hope you enjoyed it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Flushy McBucketpants said...

That was a very comprehensive post. I'm glad to read that you and Ben are doing well.

7/23/2005 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home