Wednesday, June 08, 2005

When Potatoes Go Bad and Other Irrelevant News

Potatoes smell bad when they start to rot. I found that out as I was getting sweet potatoes out to bake for dinner. Ben had purchased a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes for me (they are the best) and we haven't used them. Now, I know my mom keeps like potatoes and things for a freaking long time, and those have only been in there for like maybe a month and a half and there is gross, brown potato juice and it's made the cabinet smell repulsive. The cat wouldn't even in go in the open cabinet. Granted, the cat is being finicky about her litter box because the litter no longer smells fresh...it's only been in there for two weeks. The box says you don't have to completely change the litter but once a month. Stupid me spoiling my cat with the pristine litter boxes!

I bought a new car a week ago. It's blue. It's shiny. It's a Toyota Matrix. The new one was cheaper than a used one. What's wrong with that? Anyway, I like it a lot. The seats feel like mini van seats and it's much larger, roomy, and higher than my Saturn so it feels a lot like a mini van. It's like training me for a mom-mobile. When I finally realized that I was going to get a Matrix now (my Saturn can only have so many miles left on it, and I would rather be entrenched in making car payments before I even start thinking about making a mortgage payment, too) I started to panic a little. I was looking at Mini Coopers (a British racing green Mini with white stripes down the front was only like 18,000) and wanted a fun little car. Now, by the time it's time to get a new car I'll need a family car. My days for having a fun, ridiculously small car are over! I'm officially an old woman and won't get a Mini until I'm old and retired and have too many knee and back problems to get in and out of a little car. Le sigh. Ben made me feel better by saying he'd buy me one when I turn thirty if he has the money. Sort of a "Look! I'm still young, really" present. But I like my new car. I park it next to my old car every day. I haven't quite had time to drive my old car home to make my parents sell/donate/whatever it. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

I was talking to my administrator the other day and asked her when I'd know if I had the enrollment to teach summer school. She said I was going to teach no matter what and she destaffed other people in order to keep me around. I appreciate this, but I turned my application in late and there are probably other teachers that need the money more than me. Also, I really REALLY REALLY don't want to teach English to a bunch of idiot kids I failed the year before. She said she'd keep me on even if I ended up teaching ESOL. That wouldn't be so bad. Those kids are from countries where the teachers beat them if they don't listen. I could work with that attitude.

I wonder if I'll ever get to take a vacation this summer. Ben needs a job with more vacation time. Or, I could take a vacation by myself. Nah, that's no fun.

What's sad is that I already miss coaching. I wonder how my team is doing without me. I guess since I'm not there, then they're really not my team. Le sigh. I just hope they still like me more. Is that wrong?

Okay, it's six-thirty and Ben still isn't home. I guess I should actually do something instead of just sitting here and typing nonsense. Time to grade some papers. Thank goodness I'm almost done with that, although this weekend will be hell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kayla said...

Your new car is very snazzylicious. Try not to feel too old. At least you didn't wake up this morning with raging back pain which is attributed to doing one of the following things: 1) standing at a concert for a whopping 3 hours, 2) walking around in a forest counting trees, or 3) a combo of both.
Regardless, it's pretty sad that at the whopping age of 23, I'm falling apart.
On the upside, I hope you get your ESL class and get to help kids who are scared of you. That should make you feel youthful :)

6/10/2005 11:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I get that freaking back pain from standign at concerts too. I think we're all falling apart. Are we old enough for mid life crises yet?

Good job gettign a new car... I kinda wish I'd just shelled out and gotten a new one instead of used... i mean your gonna be paying it off for ever anyway, might as well make it worth it.Of course I like my car and I shouldnt bitch.

6/14/2005 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home